Talk about a noisy bird. Cockatoos are the loudest of all parrots. They screech and even scream to communicate with each other. In the wild, cockatoos live in the rainforests of Australia, Indonesia, New Guinea and other nearby islands.
Cockatoos are popular pets. They are smart, curious and funny. But before you get a cockatoo for a pet, you need to know a few things. First, they live a long time – from 50 to 80 years. Can you take care of a pet for that long? Cockatoos need a lot of attention or they become unhappy. Plan to play with your cockatoo every day. Finally, cockatoos need a large cage and plenty of toys.
Fun Facts about Cockatoos for Kids
- A cockatoo named Lailah had a role on a television show a few years ago.
- Some people in Australia believe the red-tailed black cockatoo brings rain. They’re happy when they see this cockatoo.
- Cockatoos eat fruit, nuts, seeds and insects. Cockatoos can break hard nuts open with their beaks.
- Cockatoos are very smart, but if they get bored, they sometimes destroy things.
- Most cockatoos weigh less than 1 pound.
- Screech: loud, harsh noises
- Rainforest: dense, moist forest
- Curious: nosy, wants to learn
- Destroy: ruin, break
Learn More All About Cockatoos
Watch this video to learn how to take care of a cockatoo:
A video advice of how to care for pet cockatoos.
Question: Can cockatoos speak?
Answer: Some cockatoos can mimic human speech.
Question: Can cockatoos be trained?
Answer: Cockatoos can learn to do tricks. Training can also make them better behaved.