Cockroaches – The Dirty and Unwanted Insects
Does the word, “cockroach,” make you shudder? If so, you’re not alone. Cockroaches rank right up there with mice and mosquitoes as the most unwanted animals on the planet. And with good reason. Cockroaches live in dirty places like sewers and trash cans. They pick up lots of germs and can spread disease to people.
Another reason people dislike cockroaches is because they eat almost anything. They’ll crawl in your cupboards and eat your food or even crawl on your toothbrush to eat any remaining toothpaste. They eat wallpaper paste and books! Yuck!
Not So Fun Facts about Cockroaches for Kids
- Most cockroaches dislike the light. They come out at night to eat food in your kitchen. If you turn on the light, they’ll quickly scatter.
- The American cockroach can grow up to 2 inches long.
- The Oriental cockroach is especially dirty. It has a foul smell.
- Cockroaches are a big problem in crowded cities and apartment buildings. They like warmth and often live in warm areas, such as Texas, Florida and Arizona.
- Cockroaches can live for one month without food.
- A cockroach can live up to one week without its head.
- Cockroaches can run up to three miles per hour.
- Shudder: involuntary shaking
- Rank: place
- Sewer: Pipes that carry toilet water and waste
- Wall paper paste: glue used to install wall paper
- Foul: disgusting, bad
Learn More All about Cockroaches
Watch this cool video of how cockroaches are very helpful to scientists:
A documentary video of the secrets cockroaches contribute to science.
Question: How can I get rid of cockroaches?
Answer: An exterminator is a person who sprays chemicals to kill cockroaches. Calling an exterminator is usually the best way to get rid of these pests. You can also keep your kitchen very clean and store food in covered plastic containers. Vacuuming frequently can help kill the eggs.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Cockroaches info? Take the FREE & fun all about Cockroaches quiz and download FREE Cockroaches worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Cockroach Facts ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2017. Web. 23 Mar 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-cockroaches/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Cockroach Facts. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-cockroaches/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :