Game birds could also be called ground birds, because these birds spend most of their lives on the ground. They can fly, but prefer to walk instead. Game birds are usually either hunted or kept and raised for their meat and eggs.
Chickens are probably the game bird you’re most familiar with, but turkeys, peacocks, quails and pheasants are also game birds. The ptarmigan, which is found in cold, northern climates, is also a game bird.
Fun Facts about Game Birds for Kids
- Game birds usually have short lives, living between one and 6 years.
- These birds don’t generally build nests in trees. Instead, they lay their eggs in grassy nests on the ground.
- Some game birds are roosting birds. They fly into low trees at night to sleep. Chickens prefer to roost in their coops on a stick.
- Game birds eat seeds, fruit, grain and insects. Chickens eat almost anything you feed them.
- Chickens can lay almost 300 eggs each year. They lay fewer eggs in the winter.
Game Bird Vocabulary
- Northern: facing or in the north
- Climate: weather and conditions
- Grassy: made with grass and plants
- Roost: hang onto a branch or stick with the feet
Learn More All About Game Birds
Watch this amazing video for more fun facts about turkeys:
A video of facts about the turkey.
game Bird Q&A
Question: Are chickens tame?
Answer: Some breeds of chickens are easier to tame than others. Chickens that are handled from the time they’re babies tend to be friendlier.
Question: Can peacocks be kept as pets?
Answer: Peacocks have been kept as pets for thousands of years. They’re sometimes grumpy, though, and will bite, so don’t expect to play with them as you would a dog
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Game Birds info? Take the FREE & fun Game Birds quiz and download FREE Game Birds worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Game Bird Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jun 2018. Web. 19 Jun 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-game-birds/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Game Bird Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-game-birds/
Sponsored Links :