Kangaroos – The World’s Best Jumpers
Hippity hop! Kangaroos might just be the world’s best jumpers. These marsupials can hop 10 feet high or 30 feet forward. Talk about a big leap! Kangaroos have strong muscles in their back legs, as well as a strong tail that helps them balance.
Kangaroos are found only in Australia and the surrounding islands. These lovable animals are herbivores. They eat only grass and plants. In Australia, they are like deer or cattle, roaming fields and munching on plants.
Fun Facts about Kangaroos for Kids
- The red kangaroo is the largest kangaroo and is as tall as your dad. There are also tiny kangaroos small enough to fit in your hand. Over 50 kangaroo species live in Australia.
- Some kangaroos climb and live in trees. Most kangaroos live in forests, woodlands and fields. Kangaroos can even be found in suburban yards, parks and on golf courses.
- Kangaroo mothers are called “does.” They usually have one baby at a time. The babies, called a “joeys,” are tiny when they are born. They crawl in mom’s pouch and stay there for up to 13 months.
- Kangaroos live in groups or mobs. They communicate with each other by hissing, punching or growling. Sometimes they groom each other.
- Kangaroos live 5 to 7 years in the wild.
- Surrounding: nearby
- Herbivore: eats only plants
- Woodland: area with trees and fields
- Suburban: edge of cities
- Communicate: talk, express needs
Learn More All About Kangaroos
Check out this cool video about kangaroos kickboxing:
A 3 minute documentary about the mating season of kangaroos.
Question: Are kangaroos endangered?
Answer: No, but a drought in Australia is making it harder for them to find food.
Question: How big are kangaroos?
Answer: The largest three species weigh between 50 and 200 pounds.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Kangaroo Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2018. Web. 25 May 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-kangaroos/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Kangaroo Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-kangaroos/
Sponsored Links :