Toucans – The Birds With Long, Brightly Colored Bill
Toucans on television commercials love fruity cereal, but in real life, toucans would choose fruit over cereal. Toucans live in the rainforests of South America, where they spend their days eating fruit, insects and the occasional egg or small bird.
Toucans have a long, brightly colored bill. It looks sharp, but it’s not designed for fighting. Instead, toucans use their bills to pick fruit.
Fun Facts about Toucans for Kids
- Toucans lay their eggs in holes in trees. Both the father and mother take care of the babies.
- Toucan babies don’t have big bills. The bills become larger as they grow.
- Toucans weigh just a little over 1 pound.
- These popular birds live in small flocks. They call and hoot to each other loudly.
- Some people keep toucans as pets.
- Commercial: advertisement
- Rainforest: dense, wet forest
- Bill: beak
- Flock: group
Learn More All About Toucans
Watch this episode of Birds of Paradise:
A National Geographic documentary about toucans.
Question: How big is a toucan’s bill?
Answer: A toucan’s bill can be as long as his entire body.
Question: Are toucans related to parrots?
Answer: Toucans are related to woodpeckers.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Toucans Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2017. Web. 17 Oct 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-toucans/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Fun Toucans Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-toucans/
We've recently added
- Chewing Gum Facts
- Television Facts
- Popcorn Facts
- This Day in History – November 8
- Events that took place on November 7
- Thanksgiving in America
- What Happened on November 6
- Facts about British Royal Family
- Ancient Rome
- Interesting events that happened on November 5
- Events that took place on November 4
- Major Happenings on November 3
Sponsored Links :