Blaise Pascal was one of the most famous mathematician, inventor and philosopher of his time. He was a true polymath as he made important contribution to many different fields. He is also credited with the invention of the world’s first fully functional mechanical calculator.
The calculator was an early form of a computer. He was just 19 years old at that time. Pascal was born on June 19, 1623 in Clermont-Ferrand, France. His father Etienne Pascal was a magistrate, civil servant, and also a member of the French aristocratic and professional class known as the noblesse de robe.
Quick Facts: –
- His early education was conducted at home by his father. He never attended any school or university.
- Blaise Pascal was taught Latin and Greek as well as history, geography and philosophy. He showed prodigious talent and understanding in his childhood.
- In 1640, at the age of 16, he wrote an essay known as the ‘Mystic Hexagram’. He sent it to Pere Mersenne.
- He also worked in the field of hydrostatics which is a branch of fluid mechanics which involves the study of fluids at rest.
- Blaise Pascal became a follower of Jansenism in 1646. He was the first to follow the new faith and soon converted the rest of the family too.
- In 1648, he started writing more of his theorems in The Generation of Conic Sections.
- He died on August 19, 1662 in Paris due to a malignant stomach tumour. He was 39 years old at that time.
- His inventions and discoveries have been instrumental to further developments in geometry, physics and computer science.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Blaise Pascal ." Easy Science for Kids, Jun 2018. Web. 19 Jun 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/blaise-pascal/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Facts for Kids about Blaise Pascal. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/blaise-pascal/
Sponsored Links :