Brown Sugar vs. White Sugar
Most of the people believe that brown sugar is much healthier than white sugar. Brown sugar contains slightly more essential nutrients as compared to white sugar but it is not necessarily healthier. They both contain about the same number of calories per serving. Brown sugar is simply white sugar mixed with molasses. Both of them are kitchen staples used for cooking and baking. They are used as sweeteners and to add volume, texture and tenderness to food. It is a common belief that brown sugar is healthier. This is not the truth. No facts can do such comparison Brown Sugar vs. White Sugar.
Brown Sugar Facts: –
- There are four main types of brown sugar: – Dark, golden and light, Demerara, Muscovado and Turbinado.
- It has all the important minerals for the human body.
- Brown sugar can hold its shape like wet sand. It is formed when the juice of sugarcane evaporates.
- It contains molasses that is a good source of dietary potassium.
- A teaspoon of brown sugar provides 17 calories.
- It has different properties than regular crystallized white sugar as the chemical process is different.
White Sugar Facts: –
- White, granulated sugar is the most common type of cane sugar.
- The tallest sugar cube tower is 6 feet and 10 inches in measurement built by Camille Courgeon.
- A teaspoon of white sugar contains 16 calories.
- White sugar is 99.96% sucrose. It is the reason why it is also known as foodless food.
- Excess sugar consumption has been linked to cancer production.
- Sugar and alcohol have similar toxic effects of human liver.
- White sugar is slightly more refined and does not have the molasses.
- Lemons have more sugar than strawberries.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Brown Sugar vs. White Sugar ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2017. Web. 16 Dec 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/brown-sugar-vs-white-sugar/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Fun Facts about Brown Sugar vs. White Sugar. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/brown-sugar-vs-white-sugar/
Sponsored Links :