Cheetahs Facts for Kids Video
All about Cheetah
The cheetah is the fastest land animal in the world. It can run at a speed of 70 miles per hour. It can reach its top speed in just three seconds. These animals have slender and long legged body that helps them to run fast. Their long and muscular tails also help them in maintain their balance while speeding up. Earlier, cheetahs were found throughout Africa and Asia. Now you can only find them in parts of eastern, central and south western Africa and a small portion of Iran. Their scientific name is Acinonyx Jubatus. They belong to the Felidae family and are closely related to bobcats, lynxes, and pumas.
Quick Facts: –
- Although cheetahs can run very fast they tire very quickly. This is the reason they can keep up their top speed only for few minutes.
- When it comes to physical appearance, a cheetah has long black lines running from the eyes to the mouth called tear marks.
- Cheetahs are extremely vocal animals. They purr if they are happy and let out a chirping sound when they feel threatened.
- Cheetahs are the only big cat that can turn in mid-air while sprinting.
- These carnivorous animals feed mostly on smaller antelopes like springbok, steenbok etc.
- Cheetahs are diurnal animals that mean they are most active during the day time. They hunt during the late morning or early evening.
- They mate throughout the year and have a gestation period of around 3 months. The usual litter size is 2-4 cubs.
- Female cheetahs generally give birth to the cubs in a secluded spot such as a rocky outcrop or marshy areas.
- Cheetah cubs have long hair running from their neck all the way down to the base of their tail.
- Their long woolly hairs are called mantle. This mantle helps them to camouflage in long, dry grass.
- The average lifespan of a cheetah in wild is 7-10 years and 15-16 years in captivity.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Cheetah for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2018. Web. 24 Mar 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/cheetahs-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Facts about Cheetah for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/cheetahs-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :