Desert Facts for Kids Video
The word desert means ‘an abandoned place’. In general, a desert receives less than 16 inches of rain a year. There are two types of deserts, cold deserts and hot deserts. Antarctica is the largest cold desert and Sahara is the largest hot desert. The Sahara is in northern part of Africa. It includes 12 different countries covering more than 300 million square miles.
Quick Facts: –
- In Arabic, the word Sahara means desert so Sahara desert means ‘Desert desert’.
- Some other large deserts are the Gobi desert in Asia, the Great Victoria Desert in Australia, the Kalahari Desert in Africa, the Syrian Desert in the Middle East, and the Patagonian Desert in South America etc.
- The Sahara Desert covers around 8% of the entire world’s land area.
- The Atacama Desert in South America is the driest place in the world.
- Deserts have an extremely low humidity. Hot deserts have high temperature in the day time and cold temperatures at night.
- Deserts contain large mineral deposits and they can be good location for solar energy farming.
- The Lut Desert is the hottest place on the earth. It is located in Iran.
- An adult desert tortoise can survive without water more than a year and can tolerate temperature more than 140°F.
- Almost 65% of the earth’s surface is covered in deserts.
- Only 20% of all the deserts on the earth are covered in sand.
- Antarctica is the biggest of all the cold and hot deserts.
- Some deserts are so hot that when it rains, the water evaporates in the air before even hitting the ground.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Desert ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2017. Web. 25 Nov 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/desert-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Fun Facts for Kids about Desert. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/desert-facts-for-kids-video/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :