The people who are known as Anglo-Saxons were immigrants from northern Germany and southern Scandinavia. This name is collectively applied to a group of farmer-warriors who lived in Britain thousands years ago. These groups were made up of three tribes: – Angle, Saxon and Jute. Angle and Saxon were largest as compared to Jute so this is how we use the word Anglo-Saxon. They made the very first attempt to invade Britain in the 4th century but were sent back by the Roman army.
Things you didn’t know: –
- Years later, they came back around 450 A.D. when the ancient Romans left Britain.
- Most of them were farmers before they left their homes in Germany, the Netherlands and Denmark and sailed over to Britain.
- The first Anglo-Saxon king to rule England was Egbert and Harold II was the last king.
- The Anglo-Saxon period covers around 600 years.
- They took control of most of Britain but they never conquered Scotland.
- Their buildings were simple, constructed mainly using timber with thatch for roofing.
- The language of Anglo-Saxons is also known as old English. It is somewhat related to German.
- They lived in small villages near rivers, forests and other important resources
- Northumbria was the first kingdom of Anglo-Saxons that dominated Britain in the beginning of 600s.
- Mercia, Northumbria, Wessex, Kent and Anglia are the five main kingdoms of Anglo-Saxons.
- Each and every kingdom has its own royal family.
- The people who helped the king to rule the kingdom were thanes and bishops. They also had slaves.
- The word ‘England’ has been derived from the Saxon word ‘Angle-Land’.
- They made their own clothes out of natural materials.
- William the Conqueror, a Norman king ruled the England after the end of Anglo-Saxon rule in Britain.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Anglo-Saxons ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2018. Web. 24 May 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-anglo-saxons/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Facts for Kids about Anglo-Saxons. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-anglo-saxons/
Sponsored Links :