Facts About Zebras for Kids Video
Zebra Fun Facts
Zebras are beautiful creatures, known for their iconic stripes. These stripes are unique to each individual, similar to human fingerprint. They are part of the equidae family along with donkey and horses. Africa is the native country of Zebras. They are actually black with white stripes. They stick together in herds. A group of zebras is known as a ‘dazzle’. They are single hoofed animals and known as ungulates. Zebras have excellent eyesight and hearing. There are three main species of zebras: – Mountain Zebra, plains Zebra and Grevy’s Zebra. Plains Zebra is the most common type. Their scientific name is Equu Quagga.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- Zebras tend to stay together in smaller family groups.
- Different species of zebras have different patterns of stripes.
- Their stripes work like camouflage. When they stand together in a group, it is hard to determine how many zebras are in a group.
- Grevy’s Zebra is the largest species of all. They are classified as endangered.
- Zebras are herbivores and eat mostly grass. Some of them also eat twigs and leaves.
- They groom each other by pulling loose hairs off each other. It feels good to them.
- They run in a zig-zag pattern if they are being chased by a predator so that it becomes more difficult for the predator.
- They can run up to 65 kmph.
- They cannot see the colour orange.
- Zebras stand up while sleeping.
- Female zebras have a gestation period of about 12 to 14 months.
- Baby zebras are called foals.
- Their teeth keep growing the entire life but constant grazing and chewing wears them down.
- Their ears show their mood.
- Zebras are social creatures and care deeply about their group members.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Zebra ." Easy Science for Kids, Aug 2017. Web. 19 Aug 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-zebras-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Fun Facts for Kids about Zebra. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/facts-about-zebras-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :