Fun Facts About the Sun Video
This Easy to understand video tells a lot of amazing facts about the Sun.
The Sun is the star at the centre of our solar system and is responsible for the earth’s climate and weather. It is an almost perfect sphere with a difference of just 10 km in diameter between the poles and the equator. The average radius of the Sun is 695, 508 km of which 20-25% is core. It is a big star. At about 864,000 miles wide, it could hold 109 Earths across its surface. If the Sun were a hollow ball, more than a million earths could stuff inside it. But the Sun is not hollow. It is filled with scorching hot gases that account for more than 99.8 percent of the total mass in the solar system. Deep in the Sun’s core, nuclear fusion reactions convert hydrogen to helium, through which energy is generated. Particles of light, called photons carry this energy through the Sun’s spherical shell, which is called as radiative zone, to the top layer of the solar interior, the convection zone. There, boiling motions of gases transfer the energy to the surface. This journey takes more than a million years.
Quick facts: –
- At its centre, it reaches temperature of 15 million °C.
- The Sun contains 99.8% of the mass in the Solar System.
- Eventually, the Sun will consume the Earth.
- Some day size of the Sun will be equal to the size of Earth.
- Light from the Sun takes eight minutes to reach earth.
- It travels at 220 km per second.
- The distance from the Sun to Earth is not constant. It keeps changing throughout the year.
- The Sun is middle-aged.
- The Sun has a very strong magnetic field.
- It generates solar wind.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun sun facts for kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2016. Web. 11 Dec 2016. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/fun-facts-about-the-sun-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2016). Fun sun facts for kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/fun-facts-about-the-sun-video/
We've recently added
- Newton's Laws of Motion
- Classification of Ecosystems
- Structure and Functionality of Neurons
- The Asteroid Belt
- Structure and functionality of the Human Brain
- Thomas Edison Biography
- Space Shuttle Facts for Kids
- Mount Elbert
- Mount Whitney
- Albert Einstein Discoveries
- Cold Deserts of the World
- Tallest Mountain in the North America
Sponsored Links :