Galileo Galilei Facts for Kids Video
This video is all about the famous scientist Galileo Galilei:
Galileo Galilei was an influential astronomer from Italy. He was born on February 15, 1564 in Pisa, Italy. He introduced many groundbreaking inventions. He is best known for development of telescopes with 30x magnification. In 1610, he observed four objects surrounding Jupiter. They were Jupiter’s four largest satellite moons: Ganymede, Lo, Europa and Castillo. These four are now known as Galilean moons.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- Galileo is best known as the father of modern astronomy.
- In 1610, he published a scientific essay entitled ‘Sidereus Nuncius’. And in 1632, he got a book published with the name ’The Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World System’.
- He was totally blind in final years of his life. During that time, he designed an escapement mechanism for a pendulum clock which is known as Galileo’s escapement.
- He taught geometry, astronomy and mechanics at the University of Padua from 1592 to 1610.
- Galileo refused to believe Kepler’s theory which said that tides are caused by moon. He said that it happens due to earth’s rotation.
- He never married. He had three children out of the wedlock with Marina di Andrea Gamba.
- Later he sent both of his daughters to convent because he considered them unmarriageable due to their illegitimate birth.
- He invented the compass and a thermometer.
- He enrolled for a medical degree at the University of Pisa but never finished because soon he found his calling to study mathematics.
- In the last years of his life, the Catholic Church put him under house arrest because his discoveries and theories were against their beliefs.
- He died on January 8, 1642 in Arcetri, Italy.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Galileo Galilei for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Feb 2018. Web. 23 Feb 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/galileo-galilei-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Facts about Galileo Galilei for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/galileo-galilei-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :