Galileo Inventions Facts for Kids Video
Galileo Galilei was an Italian astronomer who invented various mechanical devices. The telescope was one of the most famous of Galileo’s inventions. He made the very first telescope in 1609 which was modeled after many previous telescopes produced other parts of Europe. Galileo’s telescope was one of the central instruments of the scientific revolution of the 17th century. It was the prototype of the modern day refractor telescope. Basically, it was a simple arrangement of lenses that started with fixing optician’s glass on either end of a hollow cylinder. In the telescope, the objective lens was convex and the eye lens was concave.
Fast Facts: –
- Galileo was not the first one to invent the telescope but surely was the first to use it to study the heavens.
- He developed techniques for grinding and polishing the lenses that were used in creating the telescope.
- In 1610, he discovered the four largest moons of Jupiter that are Io, Callisto, Europa, and Ganymede by using his new 30 power telescope.
- Galileo published all of his findings in a small book titled Sidereus Nuncius (The Starry Messenger) in 1610.
- It has been more than 400 years but the telescope still survives under the constant care of the Istituto e Museo di Storia della Scienza.
- Galileo also discovered that the Sun had sunspots and he was also able to make out mountains and craters on the moon.
- Galileo Galilei also designed the first ever pendulum clock near the end of his lifetime.
- In 1593, he constructed his own version of a thermoscope that relied on the expansion and contraction of air in a bulb.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts for Kids about Galileo’s inventions ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2017. Web. 16 Dec 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/galileo-inventions-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Facts for Kids about Galileo’s inventions. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/galileo-inventions-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :