Karl Benz was a German car designer and engine designer. He is considered to be the designer of the first motor vehicle to be powered by an internal combustion engine. He was the founder of Mercedes Benzs. The Mercedes brand is well known and is world renowned. His complete name was Karl Friederich Benz.
He was born in Karlsruhe, Germany on November 26, 1844. He actually wanted to be a locksmith. As a young man while riding bicycle he thought how practical it would be to have a machine that was able to power itself.
Quick Facts: –
- He studied electrical engineering at university and then worked in iron construction and as a draftsman.
- After some time, in 1871, Benz opened a small engineering works with a business partner August Ritter.
- The first stationary gasoline engine developed by Karl was a one-cylinder two-stroke unit which ran for the first time on New Year’s Eve 1879.
- In 1883 he opened a new company called Benz & Company. He built the world’s first car in 1885.
- Karl Benz’s first car was called the Benz Patent Motorwagen. This tricycle had no gears.
- He made the world’s first production car called the Velo in 1894 which also took part in the world’s first car race in France.
- A year later he designed the world’s first lorry and in 1895, he introduced a revolutionary flat design.
- The first Benz cars were hand-assembled and expensive until the assembly line innovation of Henry Ford was implemented.
- Karl Benz died in 1929 aged 84. His last home was designated a historic landmark.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Amazing Facts for Kids about Karl Benz ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2018. Web. 26 May 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/karl-benz/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Amazing Facts for Kids about Karl Benz. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/karl-benz/
Sponsored Links :