Kathryn Sullivan is a former NASA astronaut. Her full name is Kathryn Dwyer Sullivan. She was born on October 3, 1951, in Paterson, New Jersey. She became the first American women to perform a 3.5 hours spacewalk. She was a part of the space shuttle crew that deployed the Hubble Space Telescope. This five-day mission took place in April 1990. The team completed 76 orbits of the earth in approximately 121 hours. Deployment of one of the most famous satellites of the world started a new era of space exploration. Sullivan also served in the US Navy Reserve as an oceanographer from 1988 to 2006.
Quick Facts: –
- Kathryn Sullivan received a bachelor’s degree in Earth science from the University of California in 1973.
- Then she received a doctorate degree in Geology from Dalhousie University in the year 1978.
- Sullivan was selected by NASA in January 1978 and in 1979, officially became an astronaut.
- Kathryn was appointed as a mission specialist on STS-41G in 1984.
- It was her first space flight which took place on October 5, 1984. It was launched from Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
- STS-31 was her second space flight which was launched on April 24, 1990.
- STS-45 was her third and last space flight which took place on March 24, 1992. She was a payload commander on this flight.
- She completed three successful flights in the space shuttles Discovery, Challenger, and Atlantis. She spent total 532 hours in space.
- In 1993, she left NASA and joined NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) as the chief scientist.
- Kathryn received the Woman of Distinction in 2002 and in 2004, was elected to the Astronaut Hall of Fame.
- She was appointed as a member of the National Science Board by President George W. Bush.
- In 2011, she was appointed as the Deputy Administrator of NOAA by President Barack Obama.
- In 2014, Sullivan accepted the position of the Head of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Amazing Facts for Kids about Kathryn Sullivan ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2017. Web. 20 Oct 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/kathryn-sullivan/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Amazing Facts for Kids about Kathryn Sullivan. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/kathryn-sullivan/
Sponsored Links :