Abacus is the most ancient device used for calculations. It is mainly used to solve basic arithmetic problems. It has got a unique place in the history of mathematics. Abacus is a Latin word that means “flat surface”. This device consists of a wooden frame, rods and beads. Each rod represents a different place value and each bead represents a number. These beads can be moved along the rods. Calculations are performed by moving these beads. Modern abacus has been proved to be a brain development tool that can enhance mental calculating abilities in small children.
Quick Facts: –
- The Modern abacus that we use today can be instantly made to read zero by a horizontal pull along the center.
- The Russian abacus is known as the schoty. It is different from other abacuses as it is not divided into decks.
- China is considered to be the place origin of abacus as the original written documentation is dated in the second century BC.
- Cranmer abacus was invented by Tim Cranmer. It is used by blind people to perform calculation easily and quick.
- Most people confuse the counting board and abacus with each other. Both the devices are different.
- Our modern computers use binary abacus to manipulate numbers. ASCII code is used to read sign, symbols and numbers.
- The Chinese version of abacus is known as “Suanpan” – (meaning calculating pan).
- Using an abacus is easy. It just takes a few mental calculations and your fingers to record the result.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts about Modern Abacus for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2017. Web. 23 Nov 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/modern-abacus/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Facts about Modern Abacus for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/modern-abacus/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :