Properties of Hydrogen Facts for Kids Video
Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe. Approximately 10% of the entire weight of living organisms is made up of hydrogen. It has the atomic number 1 and chemical symbol ‘H’. It makes more than 65% of the elemental mass of the universe. Melting point of hydrogen is -259.14°C and boiling point is -252.87°C. This gas has three isotopes that occur naturally: – protium, deuterium and tritium.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- In 1783, Antoine Lavoisier gave the name hydrogen to this gas. This word is derived from the Greek word where ‘hydro’ means water and ‘genes’ means forming.
- Hydrogen is a tasteless, colourless and odourless gas.
- It is the third most common element on the earth’s surface.
- As this gas is very light in weight so it easily escapes the earth’s gravity as compared to other heavier gases.
- A hydrocarbon is a compound that contains carbon and hydrogen both. There are millions of known hydrocarbons.
- Hydrogen is very abundant in stars like the Sun and gas giants like planet Jupiter.
- It is the only element that can exist without neutrons.
- Three elements are believed to be produced in the Big Bang: – Hydrogen, Helium and Lithium.
- Schrödinger equation has an exact solution for only one atom that is hydrogen.
- Hydrogen can easily bond with other non-metals. Compounds of hydrogen are called hydrides.
- The atomic weight of hydrogen is 1.00794.
- Two hydrogen atoms (H2) bond with one single atom of oxygen (O) and form the most essential things for living organisms, water (H2O).
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts about Hydrogen for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2018. Web. 24 Apr 2018. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/properties-of-hydrogen-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2018). Fun Facts about Hydrogen for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/properties-of-hydrogen-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :