Queen Elizabeth II
The full name of Queen Elizabeth II is Elizabeth Alexandria Mary Windsor. She is head of the Commonwealth which is a group of 53 sovereign states. She was given her own flag in 1960, to symbolize this position. She is the oldest reigning monarch in the entire world. She surpassed her great-grandmother Queen Victoria, who reigned for 63 years. Elizabeth II is the 40th monarch since William the Conqueror became King of England in 1066. She was born on April 21, 1926, to King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the Duke and Duchess of York.
Fun Facts: –
- She was not born an heir apparent to the throne because her father was not the eldest son of King George V.
- Her father became king when her uncle gave up the throne to marry an American twice divorced woman.
- Her coronation took place on June 2, 1953. The ceremony was watched by a TV audience of 20 million people. It was the first ever televised coronation.
- She is the only person in the entire United Kingdom who is allowed to drive without a driving license.
- She can speak French with fluency and use it for audiences and state visits.
- Queen Elizabeth II has conferred more than 404,500 different honors and awards since 1953.
- She married Prince Phillip of Greece and Denmark. He is also known as the Duke of Edinburgh. Elizabeth II was 21 years old at that time.
- They have four children together Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward.
- Her official residence is Buckingham Palace in London.
- She is the first ever British monarch to celebrate a Diamond wedding anniversary.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " All about Queen Elizabeth II for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2017. Web. 22 Oct 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/queen-elizabeth-ii/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). All about Queen Elizabeth II for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/queen-elizabeth-ii/
Sponsored Links :