World Environment Day
June 5 is celebrated as World Environment Day every year. This day was established by the UN General Assembly in 1972. It is the anniversary of the Stockholm Conference held by UN on the human environment. Each year, the day has a different theme and that theme decided by voting around 1st March. It is not a public holiday so public life is not affected. Every year, World Environment Day is hosted by a different city. The day was originally created to inspire people all around the world to become active about the environment and take some steps to ensure the safe future of our planet.
Quick Facts: –
- The first ever World Environment Day took place on June 5, 1973.
- We consume more than 80 trillion aluminium cans every year and recycling only one of them saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours.
- World Environment Day has its very own anthem.
- This day has expanded since 1973 and grown to become a global platform for public outreach.
- More than 100 countries are involved in the public outreach holiday.
- 14% of global carbon emissions are caused by food waste. Reducing this wastage is the easiest thing we can do to help our environment.
- Another resolution adopted by the General assembly on June 5, 1972 led to the creation of UNEP (United Nations Environment Programme).
- World Environment Day is celebrated by different ways in different countries. Those activities include concerts, parades, street rallies, clean-up campaigns etc.
- Natural colours that depict nature like: – softer shades of green, blue or brown are mainly used in the promotional activities of the event.
- The UN reported that by the year 2050, humankind would need three planets to sustain itself with the current rate of population growth and consumption.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about World Environment Day ." Easy Science for Kids, Jun 2017. Web. 27 Jun 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/world-environment-day/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Fun Facts for Kids about World Environment Day. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/world-environment-day/
Sponsored Links :