Zebra Facts for Kids Video
Facts about Zebras
Zebras belong to the equidae family along with donkey and horse. There are three different species of zebra: – Grevy’s, mountain and plains. These single hoofed animals are native to Africa. Every zebra has a unique pattern of black and white stripes. They are best known for the never ending riddle about them being black with white stripes or white with black stripes. They actually have black skin underneath their coat. Stripe pattern varies from one type of zebra to another type.
Facts you didn’t know: –
- A zebra can run up to 65 km per hour and their stamina level is also very high.
- Their stripe pattern works as a camouflage for them.
- Zebras run in a zig zag pattern while being chased to make it difficult for predator to run after them.
- The plains zebra is the most common type of zebra that lives in the plains and grasslands of southern and eastern parts of Africa.
- Zebra could reach up to a height of 4-5 feet at shoulder.
- These herbivorous animals prefer to feed on grass.
- Their stripy coat is used to disperse more than 70% of incoming heat.
- Zebras sleep standing up like horses.
- They come together in large herds for protection purpose. A group of zebras is known as ‘zeal’.
- The lead male of a herd is known as a stallion.
- They are called single hoofed because they have only one toe on each foot.
- They cannot see the colour orange.
- Baby zebras are called foals. A foal can walk after 20 minutes of its birth.
- Zebras have exceptional vision and sense of hearing.
- Main predators to zebras are cheetahs, lions, leopards and hyenas.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Zebra ." Easy Science for Kids, May 2017. Web. 28 May 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/zebra-facts-for-kids-video-2/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Fun Facts for Kids about Zebra. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/zebra-facts-for-kids-video-2/
Sponsored Links :