All About Boats, Rafts and Ships
Long before there were cars or even wagons and carts, people used boats to get around and travel. The first boats were simple rafts, made from logs tied together or canoes, made from dug out logs. Native Americans used canoes to get up and down rivers or to explore the coast line.
Ships are large boats. Ships have carried people for hundreds of years. Ships can carry food, lumber, clothes, spices or tools. Sometimes they have been used for wars.
Fun Facts about Boats, Rafts and Ships for Kids
- Rafts are meant to travel one way. They can be guided with a pole, but can’t be propelled.
- Canoes are small. Paddles propel the boat.
- Sailing ships are large ships that are propelled by large sails that catch the wind. Sailing ships usually have oars too.
- Motor boats use gasoline to fuel them.
- One hundred years ago, steam-powered paddle boats carried people up and down large rivers. Today, you can see these boats in the Magic Kingdom.
- The Vikings had large, strong boats that could travel through rough ocean waters. These powerful boats allowed them to conquer many countries.
Boats, Rafts and Ships Vocabulary
- Propel: control, move and steer
- Paddle: also known as an oar; used to move a boat through water
- Conquer: invade, defeat
Learn More All About Boats, Rafts and Ships
Watch this video all about boats, rafts and ships:
A video presentation of how early Greek boats looked liked.
Boats, Rafts and Ships Q&A
Question: Do boats ever sink?
Answer: Modern boats are well-designed to stay afloat, but occasionally boats sink in fierce storms or because of a leak.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Boats, Rafts and Ships info? Take the FREE & fun all about Boats, Rafts and Ships quiz and download FREE Boats, Rafts and Ships worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Facts About Boats, Rafts and Ships - Easy Science For Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2020. Web. 27 Jan 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-boats/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). Facts About Boats, Rafts and Ships - Easy Science For Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-boats/
Sponsored Links :