When it comes to scare factor, cobras have a lot of tools. First, their ribs expand to make a hood when they’re angry, making them seem even bigger and scarier than they really are. They make a loud, low hissing noise. They can spit venom up to 8 feet. It won’t kill you, but if the venom gets in your eyes, it hurts a lot. And, cobras can raise the front portion of their bodies, while they continue to move. Yikes!
There are 12 species of cobras and they all live in Asia, Africa and India. Most cobras grow about 6 feet long, but the king cobra, the world’s largest poisonous snake, can grow 18 feet long! Cobras are carnivores. They eat other snakes, eggs and small mammals, such as rats. Luckily enough the king cobra is shy and will try and avoid contact with humans.
Fun Facts about Cobras for Kids
- A king cobra doesn’t have the most venomous poison, but it injects a lot in its victims. The king cobra’s bite is powerful enough to kill 20 men or an elephant!
- Snake charmers hypnotize Indian or Egyptian cobras with the motion of their flutes.
- Cobras can’t hear sounds in the air, but they feel vibrations on the ground.
- Cobras hunt mostly at night.
- King cobras lay their eggs in nests. They fiercely protect their babies. They are the only snake to build nests.
- Cobras can live up to 30 years, depending on the species.
- They strike their prey at lightening speed.
- A cobra has few enemies but one fierce predator that will attack and eat a cobra without fear is the mongoose.
- A group of cobras is known as a quiver.
- Sometimes a cobra will bite without injecting venom. This is called a dry bite. A dry bite is more often used is cases of self defense where as a venomous bite is used to catch prey.
- King cobras are fantastic swimmers and excellent climbers.
- Venom: poison
- Carnivore: eats other animals
- Inject: insert, place
- Powerful: strong
- Hypnotize: lull, control
Learn More All About Cobras
Watch this intriguing documentary about the King Cobra:
A video of a cobra vs. another cobra fighting for territory.
Question: How many eggs does a cobra usually lay?
Answer: Cobras can lay as many as 50 eggs at one time.
Question: What are the markings on a cobra’s back?
Answer: These markings look like eyes, but they’re just skin patterns. They make the cobra look more intimidating.