Directly above Germany lies the Jutland Peninsula. This peninsula is the mainland of Denmark. In the sea surrounding the peninsula are more than 400 islands, which are also part of Denmark.
Denmark is one of the flattest lands on Earth. There are farms and dairies here. There are also big cities. Copenhagen, Denmark’s capital, is the largest city in Scandinavia. It is a beautiful city with old churches, art museums and interesting markets. People here take care of the environment. They build houses that are fueled by solar power. They ride their bikes everywhere.
Fun Facts about Denmark for Kids
- Denmark has 16,629 square miles of land
- The Prime Minister of Denmark is Lars Lokke Rasmussen (Data updated July)
- Queen Margretthe II is the head of the monarch since 1972
- 5,754,000 people live here
- Danish is the official language
- Most people are Christian
- The government is a multiparty democracy
- The dollar is called a kroner (currency)
- 99 percent of adults can read
- People in Denmark can expect to live 79.6 years
- A carpenter named Ole Kirk Christiansen invented Lego in the 1930s. Now there is a huge Legoland built here. All the buildings are made of Legos. It really is a must see if you travel to Denmark
- Jorn Utzon a Danish Architect designed the famous Sydney Opera House
- Gudena is Denmark’s longest river flowing for 176 km
- Peninsula: a bit of land that juts out from the mainland into a sea or ocean
- Island: body of land surrounded by water
- Dairy: a farm where milk cows are raised and milk is produced
- Christian: someone who believes in Christ
All about Denmark – Video for Kids
This is the best video we found for kids to learn all about Denmark:
Question: What do people do here to earn a living?
Answer: Over one-third of the people work in factories. Others are teachers, doctors, office workers or farmers.
Question: How do families live in Denmark?
Answer: Many families have only one parent. Dads take a big role in parenting. Many dads raise the kids while moms work.
Map of Denmark
Here’s a map of the country of Denmark and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around Denmark! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of Denmark, as though you are actually there!