Scientists don’t know whether global warming is to blame, but natural disasters, including floods, forest fires and mudslides, seem to be happening more frequently. There’s no need to be afraid, but you should be prepared.
Talk with your family about what to do in a natural disaster. Choose a place to meet near your home if you become separated. Memorize important phone numbers like your grandparents’ numbers or your parents’ work numbers. Take a basic first aid class and learn about what to do in a variety of natural disasters. Finally, make 72-hour kits with your family. These kits contain all the essential things you’ll need to survive for up to three days.
Materials for a 72 Hour Emergency Preparation Kit
- Sturdy backpack
- Laminated paper that contains your name, parents’ names, address and phone number, as well as the names and phone numbers of a few friends and relatives
- A bracelet that contains your name, phone number and your parents’ information. This can be a paper bracelet like the kind you wear at an amusement park.
- Enough food to last for three days. Get non-perishable, high-energy foods like granola bars, dried fruit, packets of tuna fish or chocolate.
- At least one gallon of water. Two or three gallons are better.
- A flashlight with batteries
- First aid kit
- Trash bags, moist wipes and ties
- A change of clothes
- Sleeping bag
- Money and matches placed in a plastic container that won’t get wet
Your parents may have a few additional items in their backpacks. Keep all the backpacks together in a place where you can get them quickly. Go through the backpacks at least twice a year and review your family’s disaster plans.
Learn More All about Emergency Preparation
Here’s the best kids Emergency Preparation video you can watch right now to learn more all about Emergency Preparation:
A children’s video about how to prepare for emergencies.
Enjoyed the Free Geography Kids online resources all about Emergency Preparation info? Take the FREE & fun Emergency Preparation quiz and download FREE Emergency Preparation worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.