In all the animal kingdom, the peaco-ck has the fanciest clothing. Male peaco-cks have beautiful long tail feathers, called a covert or train. Peaco-cks can spread these tail feathers into a fan. The fans are covered with sparkling circles, or eyes, in purple, red or yellow. The feathers are usually blue or green. Male peaco-cks use these feathery displays to get a date. The female peaco-cks seem to prefer the males with the largest, brightest fans.
Fun Facts about Peaco-cks for Kids
- A group of peaco-cks isn’t called a flock, but a party.
- Peaco-cks have been kept as pets for thousands of years.
- Peaco-cks eat seeds, plants, insects and small reptiles.
- Peaco-cks can fly, but they stay on the ground most of the time.
- Female peaco-cks are actually peahens, not peaco-cks. Babies are peachicks.
- In India, peaco-cks are considered sacred.
- Covert: a peaco-ck’s tail feathers or train
- Party: a group of peaco-cks
- Peahen: a female peaco-ck
- Sacred: special, beloved by God
Learn More All About Peaco-cks
Check out this fun video about a peaco-ck’s courtship dance:
A video about peaco-ck courtship.
Question: Do females have fancy feathers?
Answer: Females are usually grayish white or brown. They do not have long trains.
Question: Do people hunt peaco-cks?
Answer: In some parts of the world, people do hunt and eat peaco-cks.