In all the animal kingdom, the peacock has the fanciest clothing. Male peacocks have beautiful long tail feathers, called a covert or train. Peacocks can spread these tail feathers into a fan. The fans are covered with sparkling circles, or eyes, in purple, red or yellow. The feathers are usually blue or green. Male peacocks use these feathery displays to get a date. The female peacocks seem to prefer the males with the largest, brightest fans.
Fun Facts about Peacocks for Kids
- A group of peacocks isn’t called a flock, but a party.
- Peacocks have been kept as pets for thousands of years.
- Peacocks eat seeds, plants, insects and small reptiles.
- Peacocks can fly, but they stay on the ground most of the time.
- Female peacocks are actually peahens, not peacocks. Babies are peachicks.
- In India, peacocks are considered sacred.
- Covert: a peacock’s tail feathers or train
- Party: a group of peacocks
- Peahen: a female peacock
- Sacred: special, beloved by God
Learn More All About Peacocks
Check out this fun video about a peacock’s courtship dance:
A video about peacock courtship.
Question: Do females have fancy feathers?
Answer: Females are usually grayish white or brown. They do not have long trains.
Question: Do people hunt peacocks?
Answer: In some parts of the world, people do hunt and eat peacocks.