Best Facts About Sea Turtles Video for Kids
Sea turtles, the most ancient marine mammals.
Best facts about sea turtles
This fun and informative video explains a lot of lesser known facts about sea turtles. Sea turtles or sometimes called as Marine turtles are reptiles. They are one of the earth’s most ancient creatures. They are found wherever you find warm and temperate waters throughout the world. They migrate hundreds of miles between nesting and feeding grounds. Most of their lives are spent in water. They are well adapted to the ocean though they require air to survive.
Quick Facts: –
- The oldest known sea turtle fossils date back about 150 million years. It makes them on of the oldest creature on the earth.
- There are 7 species of sea turtles.
- They love to travel. A sea turtle can travel more than 10,000 miles every year.
- Female sea turtles lay their eggs in the same nesting ground where they were born.
- They can stay underwater up to 5 hours because they can hold their breath for a very long time. But their feeding dive can last only for 5 minutes.
- An adult sea turtle can weigh up to 2,000 pounds.
- Their eggs look like ping pong balls. Female turtles lay up to 150 eggs every two to three years.
- According to an estimate, only one hatchling in thousand will make it to adulthood. So for them, it really is survival of the fittest.
- Male sea turtle never come back to shore. They spend their entire life in the ocean itself.
- They have some glands that help them to get rid of the extra salt from their eyes. It might seem that a turtle is crying but they are just doing some spring cleaning.
- Their gender can be determined by checking how hot or cold their environment was while they were in their eggs. Warm temperature produces more female hatchling while a cooler temperature tends to produce more male hatchlings.
- They live a solitary life. They are not territorial so it is common for them to overlap a piece of habitat with others.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Best fun facts about sea turtles for kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Jun 2019. Web. 26 Jun 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-facts-about-sea-turtles-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Best fun facts about sea turtles for kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/best-facts-about-sea-turtles-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :