Coconut isn’t a fruit, although it’s often used in fruit dishes. It grows in tropical regions on tall palm trees and is a type of nut. Coconut is high in protein and iron. You can buy fresh coconuts in the store, although shredded coconut is more convenient.
- Spanish explorers called this plant coco which means “monkey face.” They thought the dark spots on the fuzzy brown coconuts resembled a monkey’s face.
- Almost one-third of the people on our planet rely on coconuts as a major part of their diet.
- Pacific Islanders revere coconuts, calling the trees “The Tree of Life.” They believe coconuts can cure all diseases.
- Coconut oil is considered one of the healthiest oils.
- Coconuts are considered a type of nut.
- Coconut flesh is high in protein. Coconut water is a light, refreshing drink.
- Coconut milk is often used as a dairy substitute. It is used in Thai food and can even be used to make ice cream.
- Coconut oil is used in cosmetics and medicines.
- Rely: depend
- Thai: from Thailand
Questions and Answers
Question: Is the outside of the coconut edible?
Answer: The outside, called coir, isn’t edible. It’s used for making ropes, brushes, mats, and compost.
Martha Stewart explains how to open and use fresh coconut.