This video shares some words that have Greek and Latin roots. The video gives a list of words, reads it to demonstrate how they are pronounced, and gives an example on how the words are used in a sentence. There are a few amazing facts about the Latin language that are mentioned below: –
- Latin is the classical and cultural language of Western Europe. This language belonged to the Indo-European language family.
- It was one of the most important languages in most parts of the Europe during the Middle Ages. It was mainly spoken by ancient Romans.
- All the five main romance languages which include French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian and Spanish are connected to Latin.
- Even though no one speaks Latin as their first language any more, many people study it in school.
- It was important to Christianity for a long time and it is still used during some religious activities.
- Classic Latin was the official language of the Ancient Rome. It was used in the 1st century BC.
- It was the language of more educated people like intellectuals, poets, and philosophers.
- It was originally spoken by small groups that lived along the lower part of the Tiber River.
- During the Middle Ages, Latin was most widely used in the West for scholarly and literary purposes.
- Now it is used to create new words in modern languages including English.