Amazing facts about cows
This Video reveals some lesser-known facts about cows like-
- Cows like to sleep close to their families.
- As human form close friendships, similarly cows also form a special bond with other cattle. They choose to spend most of their time with 2-4 preferred individuals.
- They can also fly in to a rage for years and a particular individual for a long time.
Which one is the most common breed in dairy cows?
- Holstein is the most common dairy cow but it is not the only cattle breed that produces dairy products.
What is the first milk called, produced by a cow after giving birth?
- Colostrum is the first milk of a cow after giving birth.
How is Colostrum helpful to fight infection and diseases in a newborn calf?
- Calves are born with no immunity against diseases. A good quality Colostrum is full of antibodies necessary to transfer immunity.
What are the six basic nutrients required by animals?
- Water – 13-15% (dried for storage)
- Protein – 7-9%
- Carbohydrate – mainly in starch portion
- Fat – mainly in the oil portion
How much time should an exhibitor take to train cows before a show?
- Approximately 2 months.
What are the most popular breeds of cows in the US?
- Holstein, Kerry, Jersey, Brown Swiss, Dutch Belted etc.
What is called Gestation period?
- The time period between mating and giving birth is called Gestation period.
What is Gestation period for a dairy cow?
- 280 days (approximately)
How to prevent navel infections in newborn calves?
- By dipping their navel in iodine but it will not replace a clean environment or good hygiene.
What is the weight of a newborn calf?
- 75-100 pounds (approximately)
Which hormone is important for milking process?