Robot Fun Facts
A robot can be defined as a man-made machine that can perform actions that are normally performed by humans. They have existed in some form or another since ancient times. The first known robot in recent history was created in the 5th century BC by Archytas of Tarentum. Leonardo da Vinci also drew some plans for a type of robotic machine. The first ever humanoid robot was Elektro which debuted in 1939. It was built by the Westinghouse Electric Corporation. This seven foot tall machine spoke around 700 different words.
Quick Facts: –
- The word Robot has been derived from the Czech word ‘robota’ that means forced work or labour.
- The first robot homicide occurred in a Japanese factory in 1981. A robotic arm crushed a factory worker.
- The smallest robot is called nanobot. Its size is approximately 10 nanometres.
- The U.S. military has around 4,000 robots that are used for scouting at dangerous places.
- Robots can also do the same thing over and over again without getting bored like drilling, welding, painting etc.
- These machines are composed of three main parts which are Controller, Mechanical Parts and Sensors.
- A robot has been created that uses bacteria-filled fuel cells. It can produce electricity from dead flies to power its battery.
- There are more than a million industrial robots in use today and approximately half of them are in Japan alone.
- A robot can be controlled remotely by a human operator, depending on the task it is going to perform.