Extreme Sea Conditions
Approximately 70% of the earth’s surface is covered with water. It is believed that the Ocean is more ancient than the mountains. Almost half of all United States territory lies below the ocean. The average depth of the ocean is 12,400 feet. Light can only reach up to 330 feet. The ocean is so immensely deep and almost 95% remains unexplored. Some people also believe that there is 20 million tons of gold in the ocean. The ocean can be extremely mysterious that you will surely give a second thought before going into the deep waters.
Fun Facts: –
- There are underwater waterfalls as well. The earth’s largest waterfall lies between Greenland and Iceland. It is also underwater.
- The largest mountain range is also lying below the surface of the ocean. It is called the Mid-Oceanic Range.
- The Pacific Ocean is the largest of all oceans of the world. It covers about 30% of the earth’s surface.
- Water takes approximately 1,000 years or more to travel all the way around the entire globe.
- The most remote point in the oceans is known as the Point Nemo.
- Oceans hold around 50 times more carbon than the atmosphere.
- The Mariana Trench is the deepest known area of the earth’s ocean at a depth of 11 kilometers.
- The ocean is also home to the Great Barrier Reef. It is the largest known living structure. It can be seen from the moon.
- Almost 10% of the earth’s surface is covered with ice.
- The ocean has various unusual geographic features like chimneys sending up sulphuric acid, brine pools, and underwater volcanoes etc.
- 70% of the oxygen we breathe comes from the ocean.
- The Arctic Ocean is the smallest of all the oceans. It holds only about 1% of the Earth’s Seawater.