Watch a terrific picked and very easy to comprehend Finding the Mean facts for kids video:
Finding the Mean
This is a great video for kids that will teach them how to find the mean in mathematics. In this video, kids will be able to define what the mean is and learn how to find the mean in a data set. The video will be demonstrating how to solve for the mean by doing an example. The video explains each step you need to do to be able to find the mean in a data set.
What is Mean?
The mean is one of the most common averages or measure of center in a data set. In order to find the mean, you take all the pieces of data, add them together and divide by the number of pieces of data that you added up. The arithmetic mean, also called the average, of a series of quantities is obtained by finding the sum of the quantities and dividing it by the number of quantities.
It helps to find where the middle of the data lies. The mathematical symbol or notation for mean is ‘x-bar’.
Here is an example.
- To calculate the mean for this set of data (18, 15, 23, 25, 14), take the pieces of data and add them together.
- We get a sum of 95. Take the sum 95 and divide by the number of pieces of data.
- We had 5 pieces of data so we are going to divide that sum by 5.
- When 95 gets divided by 5, it gives us 19.
- So the mean for this set of data is 19.