Fisher Building is also known as “Detroit’s largest art object”. It is located at 343 South Dearborn Street in the Chicago Loop community area of Chicago. This twenty story building is 275 feet tall. This building was originally built to house the auto company of the Fisher Brothers called the Fisher Body Co.
The Fisher brothers were Frederick J., Charles T., William A., Lawrence P., Edward F., Alfred J. and Howard A. They made a fortune making auto bodies for Detroit’s booming car industry. This building was opened on September 1, 1928.
Quick Facts: –
- The Fisher Building was originally supposed to be a three-building complex and the largest commercial building in the world.
- This L-shaped building is home to elaborately decorated public space of shops, eateries, and the Fisher Theater.
- In 1928, this building was named as the most beautiful commercial structure by the Architectural League of New York.
- The Fisher building’s original structure was designed by Charles Atwood of D.H. Burnham and Company.
- It was the second-tallest building in the city after the Masonic Building at the time of its completion.
- The building was constructed almost entirely without masonry. It was a sign of a new era in building skyscrapers.
- The interior was decorated with some of the most expensive materials like Carrara marble and beautiful mahogany wood.
- The cost of the entire project was $9 million dollars and 1/4 of the total cost was spend on luxury materials.