Be captivated enjoying the great unique and really easy to comprehend Food Chain simple science for kids video:
Facts about Food Chain
A food chain can be described as a system that shows the relationship between different living organisms in a particular habitat or environment on the basis of their food options. This is how an organism transfers energy from one organism to another. All living things require energy for their growth. These chains can be short or long depending upon the no. of consumers that can be eaten before one dies or starts to decompose. The position occupied by an organism in the food chain is known as its Trophic level.
Quick Facts: –
- A food chain often starts with a plant. Plants are able to make their own food. They are known as producers.
- As all animals eat plants or other animals so they are known as consumers.
- Organisms that eat the producer are known as primary consumers and who eat the primary consumer, are known as secondary consumers.
- Humans are at the end of the chain. They eat both plants and animals that have consumed other forms of energy.
- There are four different types of consumers in the animal kingdom which are herbivore, carnivore, omnivore and scavenger.
- There are more than 10,000 different types of decomposer organisms that break down and consume mammals.
- There are many different food chains in an ecosystem. Members of one chain can also belong to another chain.
- The concept of food chain was introduced by a 9th century scientist named Al-Jahiz for the first time.
- When two or more food chains are combined, they are known as food web. This concept was introduced by Charles Elton in 1927.