Human Spine Facts
The spine plays an important role in our bodies. It is a part of our central nervous system. It supports the entire weight of our upper body. It consists of connecting nerves of brain and body. Our spine works as a pathway for messages between brain and rest of the body. It is made of 33 bones called vertebrae, stacked one on top of the other.
How many spinal curves are there in our body?
- A total of three curves are there in human spine.
- Cervical Curve
- Thoracic Curve
- Lumbar Curve
What is the main task of spinal curves?
- These curves acts like a coiled spring used to absorb shock, maintain balance etc.
What are the two muscle groups affecting the spine and what do they do?
- Extensors and flexors. Extensor muscles help us to stand up and lift object. Flexor muscles help us to bend forward.
What is the role of back muscles?
- Back muscles stabilize the spine.
How many movable bones are there in spine?
- 24 bones.
What are intervertebral discs?
- Intervertebral discs are used to separate each vertebra and keep the bones from rubbing together.