Lead Poisoning

print

Lead is a naturally occurring toxic metal that is found in the Earth’s crust. Lead Poisoning is a medical condition caused by the increased levels of lead in the blood. It occurs when too much lead accumulates in the body.

Lead exposure in childhood can have long-term consequences. This cumulative toxicant affects multiple body organs. When absorbed by the body, it is distributed to the brain, liver, kidney and bones. There is no safe amount of lead in the body.

 

Quick Facts: –

  • In the human body, lead is stored in bones and teeth. During pregnancy, it is released into blood from bones.
  • Lead poisoning can be prevented and many steps have been taken to remove the sources of lead.
  • In 2007, over 25 million toys were recalled from stores because of lead contamination.
  • Major sources of environmental contamination include mining, smelting, manufacturing and recycling activities.
  • In 1978, lead was banned in paint and other consumer goods made and sold in the United States.
  • A diet high in Vitamin C, calcium and iron can help the body to absorb less lead and people with extreme lead poisoning can undergo chelation therapy.
  • A chelation therapy is recommended when a child’s blood lead level exceeds 45 micrograms per decilitre.
  • There is no way to reverse the damage done by lead contamination which is why prevention is emphasized.