The Porcelain Tower of Nanjing was built during the Ming Dynasty in the 15th century. It is also one of the Seven Wonders of the Medieval Ages and also believed to be the youngest of them all. It was built on the south banks of the river Yangtze in China. This octagonal pagoda was adorned with approximately 140 lamps to illuminate it.
The tower is also known as Bao’ensi that means ‘Temple of Repaid Gratitude’. It was initially built as a Buddhist place of worship. It stood 260 feet tall and was one of the tallest buildings at that time.
Quick Facts: –
- The porcelain tower was nine stories tall and the interior staircase had 184 steps.
- It was made of white porcelain bricks that reflect the Sun and keep it cool.
- Most part of the tower was destroyed in the 1850s during the Taiping Rebellion.
- It was designed by the Chinese Emperor Yung-Lo. He was the third emperor of the Ming Dynasty.
- It is still unclear if he made it to honor both of his parents or just his mother.
- It was discovered by the Western world when European travellers visited China.
- The porcelain bricks used in the construction of the tower were glazed and dyed with red, green, brown and yellow patterns.
- In 1801, during an electric storm, it was struck by lightning but it was still in very much use until 1850.
- It is believed that the original plan for this tower comprised of 13 stories with a total height of approximately 330 feet.
- In 2010, a Chinese businessman donated $156 million for the reconstruction of the tower.