Cycling has wonderful effects on our mental and physical health. It is something that requires immense amounts of dedication and focus. The word bicycle was first coined in the 1860s. The term has been derived from the French word Bicyclette. An American rider John Howard is the fastest bicyclist. The first ever bicycle was entirely made of wood. There are a lot of facts that a cycling enthusiast must know. Some of those facts are listed below.
Quick Facts: –
- The longest tandem bicycle had 35 seats and was 67 feet long.
- The largest rideable bicycle has wheels with a diameter of 3.3 meters. It was built by Didi Senft from Germany.
- James Moore won the first ever bike race. It was held in Parc de St Cloud Paris on May 31, 1868.
- The prototype of the mountain bike was developed in 1977 for the very first time.
- The smallest adult bicycle has wheels made from silver dollars.
- Approximately 15 bicycles can fit in the space occupied by a single car.
- If a bike is moving at a speed of 8 miles per hour or more then it will stay upright without a rider.
- The first ever quindem, a five-seater bike was built in 1940.
- Cycling is a very popular thing in China. There are more than 400 million bicycles in the country.
- The world’s longest bicycle is about 92 feet long.
- Damien Hurst designed Trek Butterfly, the most expensive bicycle ever sold.
- About 100 million bicycles are manufactured each year around the world.
- Cycling burns an average of 540 calories per hour.