Types of Dinosaurs
In 1888, Harry Seeley was the first one to propose a way to classify dinosaurs. They are divided into two groups, Saurischia and Ornithischia by looking at their hip structure. Lizard hipped dinosaurs are known as Saurischia and bird hipped dinosaurs are known as Ornithischia.
Saurischia can be further divided into two smaller groups: –
- Theropods: – The word Theropod means ‘beast foot’. These dinosaurs were bipedal. All the carnivorous dinosaurs are included in this group like: – T-Rex, Velociraptor, Spinosaurus, and Allosaurus etc.
- Sauropods: – This group included quadrupedal dinosaurs that were enormously huge. They were herbivores. Examples of Sauropods are: – Diplodocus, Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus etc.
Ornithischia can be further divided into two smaller groups: –
- Thyreophora: – The name Thyreophora means ‘shield bearers’. Only armoured dinosaurs like Stegosaurus and Ankylosaurus are included in this group.
- Cerapods: – This group included number of differently shaped dinosaurs like: – Iguanodon, Triceratops etc.
Quick Facts: –
- Different types of dinosaurs were related to each other. Their relations are defined by using terms like ‘order’, ‘family’, ‘species’, ‘genus’.
- There are approximately 700 named species of dinosaurs and many more are yet to be discovered.