From the moment you are born, you breathe – in and out – all day and all night long. When you inhale, your lungs draw in oxygen, a gas in the air that we need to live. The oxygen is then sent through the blood to all parts of your body, where it gives energy to your cells. As the cells use oxygen, they make carbon dioxide, a waste gas. You breathe this gas out when you exhale.
Your lungs breathe in about 2,000 gallons of air every day – enough for the 2,400 gallons of blood that go through your heart every day. At night, you inhale and exhale enough air to fill your bedroom!
Fun Facts about the Human Breathing System for Kids
- Your brain controls how fast your lungs draw in air. When you exercise or play, your brain tells your lungs to work faster. When you’re sleeping or quiet, your lungs slow down.
- Your lungs are protected by your ribcage.
- The diaphragm is a muscle that sits under your lungs. It helps move breath in and out of your body.
- You can only hold your breath for about 30 seconds.
Human Breathing System Vocabulary
- Inhale: draw breath in
- Exhale: push stale breath out
- Oxygen: a gas in the air that has no smell or color
- Control: drive
- Diaphragm: muscle that helps the lungs
Learn More All About Human Breathing System
Have a look at this video all the respiratory system:
A video about how the human respiratory system works.
Human Breathing System Q&A
Question: Are both lungs the same size?
Answer: The left lung is a bit smaller because the heart takes up room on that side of the body.
Question: How can I keep my lungs healthy?
Answer: The most important thing you can do to keep your lungs healthy is to never smoke cigarettes. Even being around others who smoke can damage your lungs.
Enjoyed the Easy Science for Kids Website all about Human Breathing System info? Take the FREE & fun Human Breathing System quiz and download FREE Human Breathing System worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Breathing System Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2017. Web. 26 Apr 2017. < http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-human-breathing-system/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2017). Breathing System Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-human-breathing-system/
Sponsored Links :