East Timor sits in the Indian Ocean on an island also occupied by Indonesia. This poor country was ruled by the Portuguese from the 1600s until 1975. Not long after it gained its independence from Portugal, Indonesia invaded and conquered it. The country struggled for independence and finally gained it in 2002. During the struggle over 100,000 people were killed.
East Timor is a hot, tropical country that sometimes has long, dry seasons. Many people here do not have clean water to drink or electricity. There are not enough doctors to care for people when they become sick.
The people of East Timor hope the future will be better. Oil deposits underneath the ocean floor could make the country wealthy. Doctors are coming to the country to provide medical care.
Fun Facts about East Timor for Kids
- 947,000 people live in East Timor.
- East Timor has 5,640 square miles.
- People here speak Tetum, Portuguese, Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Most people are Roman Catholic.
- People in East Timor can expect to live 48 years. Many women die having babies.
- 48 percent of adults can read.
East Timor Vocabulary
- Occupy: to live in, take up room
- Invade: enter without permission
- Independence: freedom
All About East Timor Video for Kids
This is the best video we found for kids to learn all about East Timor:
A documentary about the natural beauty and wildlife of East Timor.
East Timor Q&A
Question: Do children attend school in East Timor?
Answer: When the Portuguese left in 1975, almost no children attended school and most of the people could not read or write. Today about 70 to 80 percent of children attend school. Many adult women cannot read. The government is working hard to open new schools and universities. When people are educated, they can make their lives better.
Map of East Timor
Here’s a map of the country of East Timor and all its cities and villages. Zoom in to get into street level or zoom out to see other countries around East Timor! You can see the terrain, but also see the roads, images of the buildings and even take a 3D tour through the streets of the cities of East Timor, as though you are actually there!
Enjoyed the Geography for Kids all about East Timor info? Take the FREE & fun quiz all about East Timor and download FREE all about East Timor worksheet for kids. For lengthy info click here.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " East Timor Facts for Kids ." Easy Science for Kids, Nov 2020. Web. 23 Nov 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-east-timor/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). East Timor Facts for Kids. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-east-timor/
East Timor Quiz / Question Paper
We've recently added
- Buffalo – not just a sauce
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- FAMOUS AMERICAN INVENTORS (top ten and their inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
Sponsored Links :