All about Lilies
The lilies are one of the most popular flowers in an entire world. Lilies are flowering plant that belongs to the Liliaceae family. Most of the lilies are native to the temperate Northern and Sub-tropical regions. Size of a lily depends on the species, which can grow from two to 6 feet (1.83 meters).
The genus Lilium consist more than 100 different species of this beautiful flower. Most of them grow in temperate and tropical areas, some of their range extends into the northern subtropics.
A different kind of varieties varies different shapes, size and colors. The plant has long stemmed and the funnel-shaped flower blooms n the spring, and summer seasons. These flowers have sweet fragrance, the only truth is white lilies are scented. The lily flower can convey different meanings based on the colors, and types.
Lily is perennial flowering plant which means that it can survive more than two years in the world wild. It has lack of woody structure. Lily can grow from a bulb, which in some species develops into a rhizome.
The Scientific name of Lily is Lilium.
Sub class lilioideae
Types of Lily:
Lily plants are divided into six major categories:
- Asiatic hybrids
Asian lilies are the earliest bloomers, cold hardy, less odorous. Easiest to grow, growing 4 to 5 inches long.
- Martagon hybrids
Another Early bloomers, grows best in cool shady areas, opposed to hot, humid climates. It produces small, downward facing flower.
- Candidum hybrids
Trumpet-shaped, growing in bunches form, Blooms in late spring or early summer with long-lasting blossoms.
- American hybrids
Above all, taller growing forms of lilies. Blooms in late spring, grow over 6 inches, down-facing, curved shaped.
- Trumpet hybrids
Flowers are trumpet –shaped Easy to grow, blooms mid- to late summer. Prefers warmer climates with full sun; can grow various soil types, growing well in containers.
- Longiflorum hybrids
Blooms midsummer, trumpet-shaped, outward facing flowers; easy to germinate from seeds. Grow up to 1 m (3 ft 3 inches) high.
Uses of Lily Flower
- Irregular heartbeat.
- Heart failure and other heart problems.
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs).
- Kidney stones.
- Weak contractions in labor.
- Fluid retention.
- Infection of eye (conjunctivitis).
- There is nothing like, “off-season” for lilies because they can survive easily.
- Lilies are kind to humans but poisonous for cats. So, make sure you keep your dear cat and furry friends away from the lilies.
- Lilies have a mesmerizing fragrance that has a positive effect on the mind. But it is only the white lilies and tiger lilies.
- Depends on an array of shades and shapes, it symbolizes simplicity, happiness, and purity.
- Lilies are found in a variety of places over the world, including Canada, Japan, Australia and most European countries.
- An extremely long vase life, this can be increased even further by removing the pollen found in the flower.
- Lilies are said to be one of the top ten flowers in the world.
- Popular garden plants can also be grown in containers.
- The oil extracted from these Lily plants has amazing softening and healing properties.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Amazing Facts for Kids about Lilies ." Easy Science for Kids, Mar 2021. Web. 07 Mar 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-lilies/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Amazing Facts for Kids about Lilies. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-lilies/
We've recently added
Sponsored Links :