Telephone – Invented By Alexander Graham Bell
The telephone became an important part of modern life in the 20th century. It still has a prominent place in our lives today. It is a ubiquitous tool of communication and information exchange. It was invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876. The first ever telephone appeared in 1877 in Wisconsin. Soon people installed this device in their homes. The first phone call was between Alexander Graham Bell and his assistant Thomas Watson. Bell initially recommended answering the phone with the term ‘ahoy’ but later Thomas Edison suggested the use of ‘hello’.
Quick Facts: –
- An earlier version of the telephone called ‘teletofrono’ had been registered by an Italian-American inventor Antonio Meucci.
- Britain’s first mobile phone (Cell Phone) call was made across the Vodafone network by veteran comedian Ernie Wise. It took place on 1 January 1985.
- The first phone book was just one page long. It was published in 1878 just two years after the telephone’s invention.
- Graham Bell’s patent was modestly titled ‘Improvement in Telegraphy’.
- In 1876, Alexander Graham Bell was offered to sell his invention patent to Western Union for $100,000 but he declined.
- In 1880, Bell invented a wireless phone as well. He used a technology that was a rudimentary version of what we know as fibre optics today.
- Mark Twain was one of the first to have a phone in his home.
- When Bell died in 1922, all phones stopped ringing for one full minute.
- There are roughly 150 million phone lines all over the world. This figure increases by thousands daily.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about the Telephone ." Easy Science for Kids, Dec 2019. Web. 13 Dec 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-telephone/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about the Telephone. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-telephone/
Telephone Quiz / Question Paper
Sponsored Links :