Bad breath. Most of us have it sometimes, especially first thing in the morning. But what causes it? And what can you do about it?
- Did you know that drinking more water can cure bad breath? When you’re dehydrated, food (and the bacteria that causes stinky breath) stays in your mouth longer. A glass of water helps wash it away.
- Chewing gum increases spit production, another way to get rid of food – and bacteria.
- Sometimes bad breath is a sign of disease, such as asthma, kidney disease, or diabetes.
- Bad breath can also be a sign of gum disease, so a visit to the dentist is a good idea.
- Have a cold, asthma, tonsillitis, or allergies? Dry mouth and wheezing can also make your breath smell.
- Being overweight is another cause of bad breath.
- Morning breath happens because bacteria tend to hang around longer in our mouths while we sleep.
- Dehydrate: lacking in moisture
- Production: the act of making something
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What can I do about bad breath?
Answer: First, make sure you visit the dentist regularly. Brush and floss your teeth every day. Drink plenty of water and try eating yogurt. Skip the onions and garlic and cut down on sugary foods. Try brushing your tongue along with your teeth. If you’ve taken antibiotics recently, you might have bad breath.
What if a friend has bad breath? Here’s what to do.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " What Causes Bad Breath? ." Easy Science for Kids, Jan 2021. Web. 15 Jan 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/bad-breath/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). What Causes Bad Breath?. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/bad-breath/
We've recently added
- Fingerprint Identification Experiment
- Forensic Science
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Worksheet
- Buffalo – Part of the Bovidae Family
- Buffalo Differences Worksheet
- Draw the Buffalo Worksheet
- Who invented it?
- Famous American Inventors (Top ten and their Inventions)
- Vaccines and Antibodies
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
Sponsored Links :