Define Polymer Video for Kids
Ths is an informative video explaining a lot of interesting facts about polymers:
The word, Polymer is derived from the Greek words ‘Poly’ that means many and ‘Mer’ means units. A polymer can be defined as something which is made up of two or more molecules joined together to form a long chain. These molecules decide the behaviour of that particular polymer. A single polymer molecule is made out of many monomers.
Quick Facts: –
- A polymer can be described as repetition of a single unit.
- The no. of these repetitions is called ‘Degree of Polymerization’.
- There are two types of polymers, Linear and Branched.
- A Polymer can be both, thermal and electrical insulator.
- Polymers are highly chemical resistant.
- Areas of application of polymers are: – agriculture, medicine, sport, industry etc.
- Most of them are flexible and lightweight.
- Formation of cross links in a polymer makes it stronger and more elastic. These polymers are known as elastomers.
- Usually polymers are made up of petroleum but not always.
- Some examples of common addition polymers are: – Low density Polyethylene, High density Polyethylene, Polystyrene etc.
- Polyester is a type of condensation polymers.
- If a polymer is derived from two different monomers then it is known as copolymer.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun facts for kids about polymers ." Easy Science for Kids, Sep 2019. Web. 16 Sep 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/define-polymer-video-for-kids/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun facts for kids about polymers. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/define-polymer-video-for-kids/
Sponsored Links :