Devil’s Kettle Falls
Devil’s Kettle Falls is located in Judge C. R. Magney State Park in Minnesota, US. It is on the north shore of Lake Superior. It is a part of Brule River. This river flows through the Judge C. R. Magney State Park, a few miles south of the U.S.-Canadian border.
In the park, the river drops 800 feet in an 8-mile span. Almost half of the river vanishes into a hole in the ground. This spectacular waterfall cascades through the scenic wilderness then cuts in half, one portion disappears into a vast and dark tunnel.
Quick Facts: –
- The point where Brule river gets divided into two halves is called Devil’s Kettle.
- It is made of a hard rock called rhyolite and at this point, the river is split in two by the rocky fork.
- No one actually knows where the water goes after falling into this particular hole.
- Scientists have tried to track the water with dye and ping pong balls but could not make any conclusion.
- Initially, it was assumed that water must follow some subterranean route and then empties up into Lake Superior.
- According to geologists, the disappearing lake should not be possible.
- Some suggest a theory that millions of years ago, a hollow lava tube may have formed beneath the falls.
- The eastern twin of the Devil’s Kettle Falls cascade normally eventually meeting up with Lake Superior.
- Two hydrologists Heather Emerson and Jon Libbey measured the water volume both above and below the fall.
- Both the numbers of water volume were nearly identical.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Devil's Kettle ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2021. Web. 16 Apr 2021. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/devils-kettle/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2021). Fun Facts for Kids about Devil's Kettle. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/devils-kettle/
We've recently added
- Amino Acids
- All About Volcanology
- All About Meteorology
- All About Cognitive Science
- All About Entomology
- All About Linguistics
- Chemical Formulas and Equations Worksheet
- Chemical Bonding Worksheet
- Chemical Bonding
- All About Chemical Formulas and Chemical Equations
- Chromatography Wordsearch
Sponsored Links :