The Dilophosaurus had a large crest on its skull, made from delicate bone. This crest wasn’t strong enough to be a weapon, but was probably used to intimidate or impress. Because it was one of the largest animals alive during its time, its short, curved teeth were probably just right since it wasn’t hunting large prey.
- The dilophosaurus lived 193 million years ago, during the early Jurassic Period.
- This meat-eating dinosaur grew 23 feet long, from nose to tail.
- Its name means “Two Crested Lizard.” Its species name, wetherilli, comes from Navajo councilor, John Wetherill, who lived where the dinosaur was found.
- The Dilophosaurus was the largest of the Coelophysoids, a meat-eating group of dinosaurs living during the Triassic and Jurassic Periods.
- It had hollow bones and a long neck, legs, and tail.
- Dilophosaurus probably used its claws and arms for hunting and fighting, and it might have eaten fish in addition to smaller mammals, reptiles, and amphibians.
Questions and Answers
Question: Is Dilophosaurus a well-known dinosaur?
Answer: It became more well-known after it was featured in the first Jurassic Park movie. It was portrayed inaccurately in the movie though. It didn’t have a large fringe around its neck, and it probably couldn’t spit venom.
Watch a video about the Dilophosaurus.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " All Facts for Kids about Dilophosaurus Dinosaur ." Easy Science for Kids, Jun 2020. Web. 04 Jun 2020. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/dilophosaurus/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2020). All Facts for Kids about Dilophosaurus Dinosaur. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/dilophosaurus/
We've recently added
- How To Build a Winogradsky Column and Learn About Soil Science
- Potato Light Bulb Experiment
- How To Use Friction to Pick Up Bottle of Rice
- How To Make Popcorn Dance
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Fire Extinguisher
- Power of Bleach
- Comparing Surface Tension of Liquids with Pennies
- Ice Cream Chemistry
- Using Distillation to Purify Water
- Filter Water with Dirt
- Build a Balloon Barometer
- Build Your Very Own Seismograph
Sponsored Links :