The complete name of Dr. Seuss was Theodore Seuss Geisel. He was an author, poet, screenwriter, illustrator, film producer, television producer, songwriter, animator and visual artist. He was born in the United States on March 2nd 1904 in Springfield, Mass. Seuss went to Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. After completing his graduation, he attended Oxford University.
His first ever professional work was a cartoon which was purchased by the Saturday Evening and got published on July 16, 1927. He published his first children’s book in 1937 which was named ‘And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street.’
Fast Facts: –
- During the World War II Dr. Seuss was enlisted in the army and after being sent to Hollywood he produced propaganda cartoons of Private SNAFU.
- His efforts during the wartime made him win the Legion of Merit.
- He also won two Emmy Awards, two Academy Awards, one Peabody Award and one Pulitzer Prize.
- He is also credited with using the word ‘Nerd’ for the first time. He used it in his book ‘If I Ran the Zoo.’
- He published more than 60 books in his entire lifetime and 44 of them were picture books.
- His children’s books have been translated in 15 different languages.
- He was not really a doctor but used Dr. as a part of his pen name because his father always wanted him to become a doctor.
- He did not have any children of his own but he sometimes referred to his fictional daughter Chrysanthemum Pearl.
- Some of Dr. Seuss famous books are: The Cat in the Hat – The Lorax – Green Eggs and Ham – How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Horton Hears a Who!
- Seuss died on September 24th 1991. He was 87 years old at that time.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Amazing Facts for Kids about Dr. Seuss ." Easy Science for Kids, Oct 2019. Web. 20 Oct 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/dr-seuss/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Amazing Facts for Kids about Dr. Seuss. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/dr-seuss/
Sponsored Links :