Element Gold Facts for Kids Video
Element Gold Facts
The word ‘gold’ has been derived from an Old English word ‘geolu’ that means ‘yellow’. This precious metal can be found beneath the earth on all seven continents. It is believed that about 80% of earth’s gold is still buries underground. It is a chemical element. Chemical symbol of gold is ‘Au’ and atomic number is 79. It is less chemically reactive if compared to other chemical elements. It is malleable as it can be beaten into thin sheets or any other shape. Only 1 gram of the metal can be hammered into a sheet 1 square meter in size. It is the most popular precious metal that is used for investments.
Quick Facts: –
- Gold is a noble metal as it is prone to rust or tarnish and does not form an oxide film on its surface after coming into contact with air.
- Absolutely pure gold is soft enough to be molded with hands.
- This metal is a good conductor of electricity.
- Gold injections can help fight cancer.
- India is the largest consumer of gold in the world.
- It is the state mineral of California and Alaska.
- Gold is a heavy and dense metal. One cubic foot of this metal weighs around half ton.
- 24 karat gold is pure elemental gold, 18 karat is 75% pure, 14 karat is 58.5% and 10 carat is 41.7% pure gold.
- This metal has a variety of uses apart from it symbolic and monetary value like: – in the field of electronics, medicine etc.
- Highly pure metallic gold is tasteless and odourless.
- Melting point of gold is 1,947.7°F and boiling point is 5,162°F.
- Gold is edible. Edible gold leaf and flakes can be easily found at gourmet shops which are used to add glitter to a variety of foods like: – pastries, olive oil etc.
- The radioactive gold isotope Au-198 can be used to cure tumours.
Cite This Page
You may cut-and-paste the below MLA and APA citation examples:
MLA Style Citation
Declan, Tobin. " Fun Facts for Kids about Element Gold Facts ." Easy Science for Kids, Apr 2019. Web. 24 Apr 2019. < https://easyscienceforkids.com/element-gold-facts-for-kids-video/ >.
APA Style Citation
Tobin, Declan. (2019). Fun Facts for Kids about Element Gold Facts. Easy Science for Kids. Retrieved from https://easyscienceforkids.com/element-gold-facts-for-kids-video/
Sponsored Links :